discuss: EIN (was Re: Free google ads for TLDP?)

Subject: Re: EIN (was Re: Free google ads for TLDP?)
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 12 Apr 2007 03:14:18 -0000

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 02:26:04PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Well, you'd have to ask them -- but, frankly, it looks to me like just
> another wacky Web 2.0 site.

While VolunteerMatch may not check on non-profit status as well as they
could, they seem to be the major website used for matching volunteers
with positions.  I checked out some other volunteer match sites and
only VolunteerMatch has a category that we fit into perfectly:
Computers with location "virtual" meaning that you can be anywhere
there's an internet and volunteer for LDP.  I looked at some of the
posted opportunities and they seemed to be current and well described.

Also they claim to have over 40,000 positions currently listed on
their site and googling VolunteerMatch and "Linux Documentation
Project" returns roughly the same number of hits (1 million; .8
million).  So I wouldn't say they are just another wacky Website
(unless you also classify LDP as the same --there are likely more
things wrong with our organization and procedures than with theirs:-).

I don't know how many volunteers we could find thru them but even if
it was only one every few months it would help a lot.  The volunteers
probably wouldn't know as much about Linux as the current volunteers
but they likely would have a lot more time to devote to it.