discuss: VolunteerMatch, getting a US EIN number, LDP money

Subject: Re: [discuss] VolunteerMatch, getting a US EIN number, LDP money
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 22 Mar 2007 01:27:56 -0000

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 12:44:29PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> <hat="former professional tax preparer and staff accountant at CPA firms">
>
> Just to reassure, you won't need that.  The substance of the process is
> that IRS says (via its form SS-4):  "Oh, you want an EIN?  Cool.  Who
> are you, what's your TIN (taxpayer ID number, which in the common case
> is the individual's Social Security Number), what's your address, and is
> this in your capacity as a sole-proprietor business owner / partnership
> / corporation?"

There are a lot of other entities listed on SS-4 besides the 3 above.  For
example: estate, national guard, "other non-profit organization" (That's
us, LDP.  I would simply put a check mark for this option. ).  Also, I
leave the "principle officer" blank as we have none (and this is OK per
IRS phone call).

> As long as applicant doesn't already have an EIN in that same
> capacity (which would make the request redundant), IRS just writes
> back and says "Here's your EIN.  Have an adequate day."
>
> It's not like you're applying for something valuable and rare.

However, by signing my name (under penalty of perjury) that we are in
fact a "nonprofit organization", an outfit like "Volunteer Search"
will believe that we are a "nonprofit organization" and let us recruit
volunteers thru them.

> You _will_ have to decide whether, for Federal record-keeping
> purposes about businesses, LDP is a sole proprietorship
> (single-person business) or partnership.  Or you can call
> 1-800-829-4933 to ask IRS's advice on that.  (They'll be a little
> confused about what LDP is.  Bear with them.)

LDP is simply a (virtual) unincorporated non-profit organization.
"Virtual" means that we exist in cyberspace but IRS has no such
"virtual" category so we have to list a snail-mail address, probably
my home address.  Any mail LDP gets I'll let the list know about.
Since we don't file any reports there isn't any accounting requirement
except to know that our income in the US is under $5,000/yr.