discuss: an idea: LDP rating

Subject: Re: [discuss] an idea: LDP rating
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 21 Mar 2007 22:12:39 -0000

David Lawyer wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 09:08:53PM -0400, Andy Oram wrote:
>
>>I think ratings may be better than nothing, but I wonder whether it's
>>possible to do something more reliable than subjective ratings. I
>>suggest quizzes in an article on my company's site (I get to that
>>subject about three-quarters of the way down this page):
>>

> I think that most people who look at a HOWTO or other online Linux doc
> don't read the entire doc.  They often just read the parts that they
> think will help them with the problem they currently have.  Thus, only
> the small minority of people who actually read thru the entire doc
> would be able to take a quiz on the doc.

We have solid numbers already that backs you up: people enter a HOWTO
straight into specific chapters from elsewhere (typically Google), and
leave after only a few pages. The web page persistence is low.
    http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/logtest-css.html (600 KB, big size)

We could however have each separate chapter up for rating.

> Having questions in a doc is like a textbook.  Questions might be a
> good idea where a doc is of the tutorial type and is intended to be
> read in it's entirety.  One type of question is where the reader is
> asked to explain something (an essay type question).  Since there is
> no one to give a grade on the essay, the reader can just mentally do
> it without writing it down.

I didn't quite understand that part.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen