discuss: an idea: LDP rating

Subject: Re: [discuss] an idea: LDP rating
From: "Karl O. Pinc" ####@####.####
Date: 14 Mar 2007 14:33:59 -0000

Disclaimer:
I'm unfamiliar with just who is allowed to change the official
TLDP site and how that happens, so please forgive me if
this post makes no sense.

On 03/14/2007 06:29:18 AM, Sergiusz Pawlowicz wrote:
> On 3/14/07, Stephanie Daugherty ####@####.#### wrote:
>> Sergiusz Pawlowicz wrote:
>> > What do you think about creating and automatically adding during
>> > convertion, a chapter to each LDP howto/guide, with links that
>> allow
>> > our readers to rate a document?

>> Wouldn't a bug tracking system against the howto/guide be far more
>> valuable and far more effective at improving documents?

>> Such a system could provide an easy way to report inaccuracies, an
>> easy
>> way to submit patches against the original version, and a way to
>> submit
>> requests for future enhancements or even future documents.
>
> Do we need such a big depth, will authors use it?

That's the question.  Partly it depends on who's allowed to update
TLDP.  If TLDP was more like a regular project where committers
could fix any part of the project then the original author
would not have to be the one responding to the bug report.
This style of management would be like a project where there's
a large body of code and a large manual, and anybody who's
familiar with a particular area can fix the code and the
relevant part of the docs -- except without the code.

This would require some sort of "code" respository, CVS,
subversion, etc. so that unwanted changes can be backed
out, TLDP knows who's doing what, etc.  A build system would
be good too to automatically build straight from the
repository.

The "regular project" style of management would, seemingly,
be half way between "each author has his own document" and
a wiki.  There are already lots of Linux wikis out there,
and it's not clear to me that there are wikis which are
successful at producing cohesive documents.  It could be
that this approach would allow TLDP to play on it's strengh
and allow it to continue to produce output that nobody else
does.  (My feeling is that TLDP is becoming less relevant
as there's more Linux docs out there.  Not that this is bad,
but there should be a way to make TLDP more of the powerhouse
that it once was.)

                  -- Robert A. Heinlein