discuss: Re: A new volunteer

Subject: Re: [discuss] A new volunteer
From: Brian White ####@####.####
Date: 5 Dec 2006 03:48:23 -0000

> In short, yes, it is all about control.  No matter how well meaning
> the individual, it is better to have a group in control than an
> individual.  If you want to run a linux wiki, good on you.
> However, anything could happen to you.  I'd prefer to see a
> community project.  The ibiblio people are not going away,
> and tldp, although not the most responsive of late, does not
> appear to be going away either.  That is why I want to see ibiblio
> host the wiki, and tldp run it.  To ensure the longevity
> of the project and it's goals.

You are absolutely correct.  What I don't understand is why it wasn't in
your plans until somebody else goes through the effort to do it first.

> Again, if you think you can build another documentation community,
> best of luck.  (I do have to say that I'm annoyed by some
> out there who seemingly did their best to ignore existing
> documentation projects in order to promote their own project.

But I didn't ignore you!  I came to you guys first and everybody ignored
_me_.

> If you do do a "better" job than tldp, then I'm sure that
> tldp will eventually be subsumed into your project.  We'll
> all go with what's serving each of us best, and whereever
> we each feel more comfortable participating.  For myself,
> your comments above do not give me warm fuzzies and make
> me want a closer assocation with you.  Perhaps I've
> mis-interpreted them.  If so, I apologize.

I don't want to do a better job than TDLP.  I was doing a different job.
  TLDP was intent on only reviewed works.  I happen to think that while
that is a great concept, it suffers from the documentation equivalent of
bit-rot without a paid staff to maintain it (volunteers just won't keep
it up over the long term).

                                           Brian

  Don't marry someone you can live with.  Marry someone you can't live
without.