discuss: Re: [editors] A new volunteer

Subject: Re: [discuss] Re: [editors] A new volunteer
From: Brian White ####@####.####
Date: 5 Dec 2006 03:38:17 -0000

> Brian, there is nothing personally. TLDP just wants large organization
> to keep the wiki.

<sigh>  I'm in the process of moving my LinuxWiki to midphase for
hosting, which should be large enough to satisfy everyone.  I agree that
the server is my basement is insufficient for serious use.

> Let's describe my point:
> - TLDP now have a wiki (from iBiblio).
> - No admin for the wiki.
> - No written articles in the wiki.
> - Strong partner delivers the hosting of the wiki (iBiblio)
>
> - Brian have wiki too.
> - Brian is admin of the wiki already.
> - Available good articles in the wiki.
> - Not a strong partner that delivers the hosting...

My wiki doesn't have that much yet, so it's not a big switchover.  In
addition, it's all FDL anyway, so TLDP could just copy it to their own wiki.

> So I think Brian has more points than iBiblio. Is there some way to set
> the hosting on iBiblio and the admin to be Brian? Brian will keep his
> work on the wiki and will reduce his own costs of server support.

The cost isn't a problem.  It's $7/mo and I wanted the account anyway to
host my photography site: http://www.backgroundexposure.com/

> Probably this will be better way.
> Brian will be happy and TLDP will be happy too....

I guess I'm just frustrated that everybody brushed me off when I first
suggested a general wiki, again when I first got mine running, and again
both times I suggested a DNS CNAME from wiki.tldp.org to
linuxwiki.riverworth.com.  Now that it's running and getting a fair
number of hits (to one page, anyway), it's suddenly not good enough.

I was hoping to get wiki.linux.org as a CNAME to it, too, but they also
brushed me off.

                                           Brian

  Don't marry someone you can live with.  Marry someone you can't live
without.