discuss: Re: [editors] A new volunteer

Subject: Re: [discuss] Re: [editors] A new volunteer
From: "Karl O. Pinc" ####@####.####
Date: 4 Dec 2006 20:59:51 -0000

On 12/04/2006 12:06:49 PM, Brian White wrote:
>> We have asked iBiblio to set up a Wiki for us, so things should
>> start to
>> go smoother soon.
>
> Why?  Do you have some overwhelming need to control all the
> documentation yourself?  Nothing is done for years and then when I
> take the effort to do it myself, suddenly you want to do it instead?

Am I right that you're upset because you have a Linux wiki and now
tldp wants to set up a wiki too?

In short, yes, it is all about control.  No matter how well meaning
the individual, it is better to have a group in control than an
individual.  If you want to run a linux wiki, good on you.
However, anything could happen to you.  I'd prefer to see a
community project.  The ibiblio people are not going away,
and tldp, although not the most responsive of late, does not
appear to be going away either.  That is why I want to see ibiblio
host the wiki, and tldp run it.  To ensure the longevity
of the project and it's goals.

Again, if you think you can build another documentation community,
best of luck.  (I do have to say that I'm annoyed by some
out there who seemingly did their best to ignore existing
documentation projects in order to promote their own project.
But that's neither here nor there and naming names would
be spiteful.)  The tldp docs are available
to you as they are to anybody if you think they'll help your
project.  On the other hand, while I can't speak for tldp, I'm
sure they'd welcome your participation and prefer you worked
to strenghten the existing project.

If you do do a "better" job than tldp, then I'm sure that
tldp will eventually be subsumed into your project.  We'll
all go with what's serving each of us best, and whereever
we each feel more comfortable participating.  For myself,
your comments above do not give me warm fuzzies and make
me want a closer assocation with you.  Perhaps I've
mis-interpreted them.  If so, I apologize.

Anyone with any more questions is encouraged to research the
history of the linuxdoc.org domain.

Regards,

                  -- Robert A. Heinlein