discuss: failure of message to make it to list

Subject: Re: [discuss] failure of message to make it to list
From: "Jeff Waddell" ####@####.####
Date: 4 Dec 2006 07:14:39 -0000

Hi David,

On 12/3/06, David Lawyer ####@####.#### wrote:

> Machtelt Garrels is working on this.

ok great :)

  I looks like our listmaster
> can't be located to fix this so Machtelt plans to do it herself.

thanks.

Somehow, sites that are automatic responders have gotten subscribed to
> our mailing list.

That is certainly the way it appears.  I did not see that my message
actually succeeded in being posted so I was concerned and a bit confused by
these bounces.

  It's likely due to abuse.  The auto-responders get
> a copy of each message sent to the list and since there's a certain
> format for requests sent to auto-responders and a normal email message
> makes no sense to the responder, the message gets bounced back to the
> original sender.

Yep that is certainly the way they work.

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 02:11:53AM -0800, Jeff Waddell wrote:
> > I just sent a message to this list a few hours ago, only to have it
> rejected
> > by two different mailing list managers (one at vpnc.org and the other a
> > linuxusb list).
> If you had read over why it was rejected, you might have been able to
> understand what was happening.

I did in fact understand why they were being rejected...what I didn't
understand is why they went to those addresses at all.  I only sent the
message to the ####@####.#### address.  Your explanation that these
autoresponders somehow got subscribed to the list makes sense.  Thank you
for looking into.

<snip>