discuss: editors dead?

Subject: Re: [discuss] editors dead?
From: Brian White ####@####.####
Date: 28 Nov 2006 16:47:10 -0000

> Besides, as Saqib pointed out, an external wiki is likely to attract less
> readers than one that looks really official.

A site will get traffic based on the links to it and search engine
results.  My LDAP Authentication document on the LinuxWiki is already
near the top of Google search results.

> WHERE is really not the question.  WHO, that is what we need to focus on
> here.  A Wiki does not maintain itself, and we are indeed rather sensitive
> when quality is concerned (proof the documents that were removed a couple
> of years ago, exactly on grounds of poor quality/excess advertisement for
> someones business).

Right now, I'm maintaining it.  If people want to add to it, great!  You
can argue over the best theoretical way to do it, but that won't get
anything done.  Maybe this won't work.  Maybe it will be abused and have
to be shut down.  But maybe it will work, too.

I don't want to rock the boat, but when I was trying to let up LDAP
within my company, I could not find one document that had all the
information in one place, let alone have it accurate.  As I learned how
to make things work, I wanted to contribute but couldn't!  Everything
was static.

Just last night, I got Cyrus working with an LDAP back end, too, so I
added a section to my document on the LinuxWiki.  I wouldn't have
bothered if there was some big approval or submission mechanism.

     http://linuxwiki.riverworth.com/index.php/LDAP_Authentication

I agree with you in theory, but I don't believe it works all that well
in practice.  The complaints about finding editors is just evidence of
it not scaling well.  You only need to look at Google or Wikipedia to
see evidence of how many hands make light work and get things done.  And
I don't think you can complain too much about the quality of either.

                                           Brian

   "Integrity is one of several paths.  It distinguishes itself from the
others
   because it is the right path, and the only one upon which you will
never get
                              lost."  -- M.H. McKee