discuss: Small & silent server HOWTO

Subject: Re: [discuss] Small & silent server HOWTO
From: Christian Schnobrich ####@####.####
Date: 26 Jun 2006 15:53:00 -0000

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 11:00 +0200, Nathan L. Cutler wrote:
> > He asked for some web space while waiting for more info to finish the
> > document.  It is here:
> >
> > http://tille.xalasys.com/kleine_leise_server_HOWTO.txt
>
> That revision appears to be almost 2 years old, and it's in
> German. Do we have anything else on this topic?

I forgot about it completely, since your post I gave it a rewrite.

The primary goal is no longer to deal with hardware, under the
assumption that those who'd even consider to build such a box from used
parts already have a decent idea of what they're doing (and hence
wouldn't need the HOWTO).

Instead, it has become about "services you might want to
run" (previously a small part in a mostly hardware-centric document).
Due to that shift in priorities, integration of your WARP work wouldn't
make much sense (although, I found it to be *very* interesting -- I
didn't know that these beasts even exist).

The whole idea is mostly based on my own experience. I still happen to
stumble across services and applications I find to be useful, however, I
didn't know that they exist. Often it's a case where I didn't think
about handing the task to a machine in the first place (but found it
helpful once I learned that it can be done); in other cases I already
knew that this was something I wanted, but not knowing the proper
terminology my search queries brought no relevant results.

So, in a way, this is about putting ideas into people's heads

The document does not deal with configuring all the stuff; it just
briefly outlines the tasks, names the software that does the job, and
provides a link to the project homepage(s) (and maybe one or two more to
other useful resources on the topic). Where applicable, I'm not shy of
recommending one application over another (and stating why).

However, there's no way how I could actually be the author of such a
HOWTO. Naturally, I can only cover the services and software I have
first-hand experience with. What I have is a (still rather unstructured)
beginning, but nothing more. From here on, I can only show it around and
ask other people for further input to be redacted into the document.

Will this do?

regards,
Schnobs