discuss: DocBook Tools

Subject: DocBook Tools
From: Poet/Joshua Drake ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jul 2001 00:47:11 -0000

Hello,

I know that everybody keeps mention the lack of DocBook tools. Although I
don't agree with the sentiment, I do know that there is a distinct lack of
"Graphical" Docbook tools.

Command Prompt (My company) has written a tool that will take ANY html and
convert it to valid DocBook. Why am I saying this?

Well, it is really very simple. You could use ANY word processor that can
save as HTML. Lyx I believe can do this, as can AbiWord, Kword, StarOffice
etc... Even Word Perfect 8 can do it.

No the tool is not open source. No the tool is not free but I would be
willing to discount the price a bit if enough people wanted to purchase
it. Xerox and Learning Network already use it.

If your not interested, fair enough but it sure seems like an easy
solution to a difficult problem.

Take a look at http://www.commandprompt.com/products_DocParse.lxp , there
are some examples of how the tool works and what the output looks like.

Joshua Drake

####@####.#### to serve the needs of volunteer documentors

<COMPANY>CommandPrompt	- http://www.commandprompt.com	</COMPANY>
<PROJECT>OpenDocs, LLC.	- http://www.opendocs.org	</PROJECT>
<PROJECT>LinuxPorts 	- http://www.linuxports.com     </PROJECT>
<WEBMASTER>LDP		- http://www.linuxdoc.org	</WEBMASTER>
--
Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"
start asking why software is ignoring 30 years of accumulated wisdom.