discuss: possible to build an extensible documentation ?

Subject: Re: [discuss] possible to build an extensible documentation ?
From: Jean-Christophe Helary ####@####.####
Date: 11 May 2006 04:42:29 -0000

On 2006/05/11, at 4:46, folajimi wrote:

>> Look - I would like to make a documentation describing Linux - but
>> there is one problem - there are too many versions of Linux. Every
>> version (distro) today tends to write it's own books, docs, and stuff
>> like that. Unfortunately not everything can be done in a cross-distro
>> manner - because when I speak about some topics - there are no clear
>> standard - one such topic is package management. While RPM is the
>> most
>> used package manager, it's not the only-one.
>
> You have touched upon a common complaint with Linux; the lack of a
> standard
> which is accepted by the entire community. I guess that the Linux
> Standard Base
> was initiated for this very purpose, but I could be wrong.

It seems to me the people who are the most confused are "beginners".
So maybe it would be a good idea to start using an already existing
base and creating modules for it.

I am specifically thinking about the book I am curently translating:
the "Introduction to Linux / A Hands on Guide" by list member
Machtelt Garrels.

 From what I have seen, Machtelt has tried to avoid distribution
idiosyncrasies the most possible so as to offer the reader a generic
introduction to linux.

Instead of re-inventing the wheel (like all the manuals Alexey refers
too) it would indeed be a very good idea to offer a "comparative"
view of disctributions based on a common description framework.

Jean-Christophe Helary