wiki: Thread: Hi :)

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Hi :)
From: "Sergiusz Pawlowicz" ####@####.####
Date: 11 Aug 2008 08:51:46 +0100

hi,

1. i had to remove simple questions from textcha on wiki,
i put only one related to ibiblio, because these suggested
by svetoslav were too simple and we had spam just few
hours after opening of the page.

2. are you ready chaps to help with restoring the content
from previous instance of the wiki?

s.
--
http://pawlowicz.name/
Subject: Re: [wiki] Hi :)
From: "Svetoslav P. Chukov" ####@####.####
Date: 11 Aug 2008 09:34:09 +0100

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Sergiusz Pawlowicz <
####@####.#### wrote:

> hi,
>
> 1. i had to remove simple questions from textcha on wiki,
> i put only one related to ibiblio, because these suggested
> by svetoslav were too simple and we had spam just few
> hours after opening of the page.

Too simple? I was afraid they would be too complicated.
 Probably all the questions should be related to TLDP.

> 2. are you ready chaps to help with restoring the content
> from previous instance of the wiki?

I am ready and waiting for some instructions how to do that.

Svetoslav P. Chukov

From: "Sergiusz Pawlowicz" ####@####.####
Date: 11 Aug 2008 10:32:33 +0100

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Svetoslav P. Chukov
####@####.#### wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Sergiusz Pawlowicz <
> ####@####.#### wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> 1. i had to remove simple questions from textcha on wiki,
>> i put only one related to ibiblio, because these suggested
>> by svetoslav were too simple and we had spam just few
>> hours after opening of the page.
>>

> Too simple? I was afraid they would be too complicated.
>  Probably all the questions should be related to TLDP.

Spammers are impressively intelligent :-)

>> 2. are you ready chaps to help with restoring the content
>> from previous instance of the wiki?
>>

> I am ready and waiting for some instructions how to do that.

Ok, so I've created:

http://wiki.tldp.org/a

page with all administrative help. Please put all related
stuff under this directory, it would be listed automatically
on this page. For example:

http://wiki.tldp.org/a/moin

is a description how did I install moin.

How to move old pages?

1. login into your account on reggae

$ sudo su -
# su - moin

and you are tldp wiki shell admin.

Old pages are under:

/home/moin/OLDwiki/666/data/pages

and please identify important pages and move them
into current wiki instance pages dir:

/home/moin/data/pages

please let me know is anything is not clear.

ATTENTION! you have full rights to wiki server,
so please think at least twice before you do
anything.

http://pawlowicz.name/
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 11 Aug 2008 10:40:50 +0100

Sergiusz Pawlowicz a écrit :
> hi,
>
> 1. i had to remove simple questions from textcha on wiki,
> i put only one related to ibiblio, because these suggested
> by svetoslav were too simple and we had spam just few
> hours after opening of the page.
>
> 2. are you ready chaps to help with restoring the content
> from previous instance of the wiki?
>
> s.

of course, I'm ready. I the option in the menu working?

however, I'm surprised. is the spam generated by a robot? if the spam
come from a people, such system is of no use.

personally, on my LUG web site I use a different system: I have
passwds and for the open part of the wiki, the pass is also "open",
that is any user can give it to anybody (it's R-CULTe for now)

I never has spam. Of course no challenge with tldp :-).

but this is pretty simple to use, say only "ask for passwd in discuss
list", we could even try "look for the passwd on *this* web page" or
"in the list archives".

with this system, we can change the pass yearly or monthly with little
problem. we could still keep some pages completely free for lazzy
people :-) (so to have less page to scan for spam)

jdd
--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 11 Aug 2008 10:44:06 +0100

Sergiusz Pawlowicz a écrit :

> Ok, so I've created:
>
> http://wiki.tldp.org/a

great!

we need some pointers to how giving authors rights on they own page
(if they want to) - that is "wiki author guide". I may work on this if
nobody knows already (but I have to understand first how it works :-)

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org
From: Martin Wheeler ####@####.####
Date: 11 Aug 2008 11:58:28 +0100

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008, jdd wrote:

> personally, on my LUG web site I use a different system: I have passwds and
> for the open part of the wiki, the pass is also "open"

Ditto here.

> I never has spam.

Me neither.  [On three different wikis.]

This system *works*.  I suggest we try it.

Try putting a para on the first page saying something like: "Anyone
wishing to edit this site should read this first" -- which then links them
to a page giving the editing password.

No problem.
--
Martin Wheeler - G5FM   +44 1458 83-1103 - Glastonbury - BA6 9PH - England
####@####.####   http://martinwheeler.net/   http://avalonit.net/

From: "James Hess" ####@####.####
Date: 11 Aug 2008 13:25:31 +0100

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 4:40 AM, jdd ####@####.#### wrote:

> however, I'm surprised. is the spam generated by a robot? if the spam come
> from a people, such system is of no use.

I would suspect it to be a bit of both.
Wiki/forum spammers spider the web looking for  forum/wiki they know
how to spam.
Which is probably simple in most cases.. find edit/new page link,
find textareas on the page,  add random junk the text area, post.

If the Wiki does tricks and requires javascript for filling some things in,
the spammers may have less success with dumb roboscripts...

Dumb spammers may get a one-time boost from a human  to solve the captcha

the bloddy spammers may actually screen-scrape and outsource captcha-answering
now, at  a few pennies or so per answer to get the registration to
start spewing lots
of crap per answer.... which they can measure as well-worth it if the
site is visible
enough,  and they get the click-throughs

I would suggest checking URLs  submitted/added in page edits  against
a blacklist
and a few DNSBLs  like the  AHBL  rhsbl.

This is something that should be available from Wiki software...
though the spammers may be well-aware of how to get around anti-spam features
in published software

(They've had plenty of time with other Wikis running product X   to learn of
product X's  weakness/flaws that allow spam, if any)

--
-J
From: "Robert Spencer" ####@####.####
Date: 12 Aug 2008 13:29:07 +0100

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Sergiusz Pawlowicz
<...>
> How to move old pages?
>
> 1. login into your account on reggae
<...>

reggae? I'm afraid you've lost me already?

--
Robert Spencer