wiki: wiki and writing rights

Subject: Re: [wiki] wiki and writing rights
From: "Robert Spencer" ####@####.####
Date: 10 Sep 2008 14:56:20 +0100

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 2:19 PM, jdd ####@####.#### wrote:
> I think (but have little returns on this subject :-() that it could be a
> good thing is we can allow some authors to restrict writing rights to they
> HOWTO on the wiki.

Personally I have problems with that policy, I'm for freedom.

> some large subject can be edited by most people, but some other can be very
> tricky and even a small change in a text make it wrong. This is possible
> with MoiMoin.

And a small correction can make it right. Wrong and right is also time
sensitive, the doc may be right this month, but small changes in the
software make it wrong next month.

I understand what your trying to say, but can think of no easy solution.

> We can create groups. I have yet to figure exactly how :-(, looks like we
> can create special pages writable only by admins where we could list the
> authorized users?

There's not enough of us to make many groups and if we grow how do we
manage those group setting quickly? It's bound to just slow things
down and discourage volunteers, which we dearly need.

> given this, we should be able to have authors allowed (optionnally) to make
> they HOWTO page read only and to create a comment page for people wanting to
> add:
>
> http://wiki.tldp.org/HelpOnAutoAdmin

I'm uncomfortable with the thought of that.

> As a general notice, may I say I feel lonely now? I try to make the LDP go
> on, but have very little return. I don't feel like any people not responding
> is OK with what is proposed :-((

I'm sorry to hear that. :-(

In my defense I've been very busy with my job lately and need the
income. I also think that there is few members on the lists and that
some may have left due to flame wars, it would be interesting to see
statistics.

> so please, give some advice, even a very short answer is good

I appreciate what you are trying to do jdd, I may not agree with
everything you propose, but it's nice to see someone finally pushing
for bigger changes. :-)

--
Robert Spencer