docbook: Thread: Full-Text Search Engine for HOWTOs

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Full-Text Search Engine for HOWTOs
From: saqib ali ####@####.####
Date: 19 Nov 2004 05:53:26 -0000

Hello,

Try this: http://tools.tldp.org/search.php

It is a full-text search engine that search only the HOWTOs (and not
the whole site), so the results are more relevant to what the reader
is looking for.

Search engine data is updated on a nightly basis.

Let me know if this search page will be helpful to readers, or should
I scrap it.

Thanks.
Saqib Ali
http://validate.sf.net
Subject: Re: Full-Text Search Engine for HOWTOs
From: Owen Cook ####@####.####
Date: 19 Nov 2004 06:23:26 -0000

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, saqib ali wrote:

> Try this: http://tools.tldp.org/search.php
>
> It is a full-text search engine that search only the HOWTOs (and not
> the whole site), so the results are more relevant to what the reader
> is looking for.
>
> Let me know if this search page will be helpful to readers, or should
> I scrap it.

Excellent, I entered 'ethernet card' and by the time refocued on the
screen, there were all the results. Fast!

Good one

Keep it

Owen

From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 19 Nov 2004 16:12:05 -0000

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 21:52 -0800, saqib ali wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Try this: http://tools.tldp.org/search.php

Beautiful! Definitely a keeper.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz ####@####.####

From: Saqib Ali ####@####.####
Date: 20 Nov 2004 00:27:45 -0000

Hello David,

Thanks for the feedback.

> For me it's broken.  I use the lynx browser and it can't find a word
> unless it's at least 5 letters long.  It fails to find pci, isa, lpc,

Try again http://tools.tldp.org/search.php  . Now you should be able
to search for 3 letter words (e.g. ali, pci, isa etc) as well.

It should work in Lynx as well. Please try it again, and let me know
if how it goes.

--
In Peace,
Saqib Ali
From: Saqib Ali ####@####.####
Date: 20 Nov 2004 16:31:37 -0000

Hello,

> OK for 3-letter words but for a two-word phrase is just ors the two
> words and doesn't just find the phrase.

OK now you should be able to perform a exact-match search, just select
the appropriate radio button @ http://tools.tldp.org/search.php

Thanks
Saqib Ali
http://validate.sf.net
From: Saqib Ali ####@####.####
Date: 20 Nov 2004 16:35:02 -0000

Hello Rick. Thanks for the feedback.

> I searched for my name but got no results even though I am the author of
> a HOWTO.

I had a bug in the crawler. It was not retreiving your document
properly. I fixed the bug. Please try again (
http://tools.tldp.org/search.php ) , and let me know how it goes

--
In Peace,
Saqib Ali
From: Saqib Ali ####@####.####
Date: 21 Nov 2004 22:09:37 -0000

Hello All,

Thanks for all the feedback on the search engine (
http://tools.tldp.org/search.php ). Based on the feedback, I have few
made few modifications:

1) In addition to the URL of the HOWTO now I am also displaying the
TITLE of the document. (I plan to include the name of the author in
the results as well).

2) There is cached version of the HOWTO available incase the one of
the LDP mirror server is down.

3) Radio button to select between "Natural Language Full Text Search"
or "Exact Match Search".

Please try the search page again: http://tools.tldp.org/search.php   .
And let me know of your experience.

Thanks.
Saqib Ali

--
In Peace,
Saqib Ali
From: Saqib Ali ####@####.####
Date: 25 Nov 2004 05:08:56 -0000

> Searching for a phrase should search for the entire phrase, not just a
> single word in the phrase as happens with "Natural Language Full Text
> Search"

Actually the "Natural Language Full Text Search" implies that the
search will not be performed on the whole phrase but only on
individual wors.

If you want a exactly match a phrase, you should use exact match search.

P.S. If n-e-1 wants a gmail invite, please email me.
--
In Peace,
Saqib Ali