docbook: Thread: Re: how to describe a command prompt?

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: RE: how to describe a command prompt?
From: Y Giridhar Appaji Nag ####@####.####
Date: 24 Nov 2003 11:24:12 -0000

[Moving this thread to the docbook list]

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> At 02:57 11/22/2003, Y Giridhar Appaji Nag wrote:
>
>> <programlisting> would rather be a <screen>. Also, the "prompt" would
>> be an entity like <prompt>[user@machine ~/dir]$</prompt> for frequent
>> usage :-)
>
> I like the thought of making a frequently-used prompt an entity. But
> what (really) is the difference between programlisting and screen?
> They seem to do the same thing, no?

Not sure. Really. I used the <programlisting> till I did not discover
the <screen> tag one evening.

It is possible that in a certain style sheet, the rendering of the two
tags may be different in the final output. I am just thinking out loud.

But ...

From, DocBook: A Definitive Guide ...

A Screen is a verbatim environment for displaying text that the user
might see on a computer terminal. It is often used to display the
results of a command.

Having less specific semantic overtones, Screen is often used wherever a
verbatim presentation is desired, but the semantic of ProgramListing is
inappropriate.

	Giridhar

--
Y Giridhar Appaji Nag      http://www.pratapgarh.com/appaji

I hate quotations Tell me what you know - Ralph W. Emereson

The information contained in this email and any attachments
is likely to be confidential and legally privileged, and is for the
intended recipient named above only. Any copying,
dissemination, disclosure of or use of this email or its
attachments unless authorised by us is prohibited, except
that you may forward this email and/or attachments to a third
party on a strict "need to know" basis.

If you have received this email in error, please notify us
immediately by replying to the email or by calling
+91-80-2297030. Please then delete this email and any full
or partial copies of it.

You as the intended recipient must be aware and accept
that emailis not a totally secure communications medium.

Although we have taken all reasonable steps to make
sure this email and any attachments are free from viruses,
we do not (to the extent permitted by law) accept any liability
whatsoever for any virus infection and/or compromise of
security caused by this email and any attachment.

No contract may be formed or documents served by you
on or with us by this email or any attachments unless
expressly agreed otherwise by us.

Any views expressed in this email or attachments by
an individual are not necessarily those of UbiNetics
India (Private) Limited.