docbook: Thread: Openjade pb with "ldp.dsl", but works with "lfs.dsl"

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Openjade pb with "ldp.dsl", but works with "lfs.dsl"
From: Guillaume Audirac ####@####.####
Date: 10 Nov 2003 20:27:10 -0000

Hello,

I try to translate a file from XML to HTML with Openjade and the
"ldp.dsl" stylesheet.
It does work with "lfs.dsl" but not with "ldp.dsl" ! In this case, a
simple text file is generated.
Does somebody use the ldp.dsl successfully ?

Here are some additional information:
$ rpm -qa | grep openjade
libopenjade0-1.3.2-7mdk
openjade-1.3.2-7mdk
$ rpm -qa | grep docbook
docbook-dtd412-xml-1.0-13mdk
docbook-dtd30-sgml-1.0-1mdk
docbook-dtd41-sgml-1.0-6mdk
docbook-style-dsssl-1.77-4mdk
docbook-utils-pdf-0.6.12-2mdk
docbook-style-xsl-doc-1.60.1-2mdk
docbook-website-2.3-2mdk
docbook-style-xsl-1.60.1-2mdk
docbook-utils-0.6.12-2mdk
docbook-dtd31-sgml-1.0-6mdk
docbook-dtd42-xml-1.0-1mdk
docbook-style-dsssl-doc-1.77-3mdk

My config in ~/.bash_profile:
# Catalog path definition for Openjade
export path_openjade=/usr/share/sgml/openjade-1.3.2
export path_docbook_dsssl=/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets-1.77
export path_dtd=/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.1.2
export
SGML_CATALOG_FILES=$path_openjade/catalog:$path_docbook_dsssl/catalog:$path_dtd/catalog

My command is:
$ openjade -t xml -d $path_docbook_dsssl/html/ldp.dsl -V nochunks
/usr/share/sgml/openjade-1.3.2/pubtext/xml.dcl
DocBook-OpenJade-SGML-XML-HOWTO.xml > file_nochunks.html

Extract of "file_nochunks.html": just non formated text, strange (have a
look, but it's a French translation)
Conversion de documents DocBook XML/SGML avec OpenJadeVersion française
de DocBook XML/SGML Processing Using OpenJadeSaqibAlisaqib CHEZ seagate
POINT comGuillaumeAudiracguillaume POINT audirac CHEZ netpratique POINT
frTraduction françaiseEncolpeDegouteencolpe CHEZ colpi POINT
infoRelecture de la version française2003-08-292.2.8.fr.1.02003-08-29ga,
edTraduction de la version 2.2.8 de DocBook XML/SGML Processing Using
OpenJade.2.2.82003-07-16esAjout d'information sur la mise à jour des JRE
[etc...]

Thanks in advance for your help !
Guillaume

Subject: Re: Openjade pb with "ldp.dsl", but works with "lfs.dsl"
From: Saqib Ali ####@####.####
Date: 10 Nov 2003 21:07:02 -0000

Guillaume,

I applologize for the late reply. I was out sick last week.

I use ldp.dsl (latest version) with openjade and cocoon, and have not
encountered any issues as of yet.

Saqib Ali
-------------
http://validate.sf.net <---- HTML/XHTML/DocBook Validator

From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 10 Nov 2003 21:38:11 -0000

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 12:28, Guillaume Audirac wrote:
> I try to translate a file from XML to HTML with Openjade and the
> "ldp.dsl" stylesheet.
> It does work with "lfs.dsl" but not with "ldp.dsl" ! In this case, a
> simple text file is generated.
> Does somebody use the ldp.dsl successfully ?

Yes, it WILL work!

> Here are some additional information:
> $ rpm -qa | grep openjade
> libopenjade0-1.3.2-7mdk
> openjade-1.3.2-7mdk

I have openjade-1.3.1-9 (RH), so I know it's not your openjade.

> $ rpm -qa | grep docbook
> docbook-dtd412-xml-1.0-13mdk
> docbook-dtd30-sgml-1.0-1mdk
> docbook-dtd41-sgml-1.0-6mdk
> docbook-style-dsssl-1.77-4mdk
> docbook-utils-pdf-0.6.12-2mdk
> docbook-style-xsl-doc-1.60.1-2mdk
> docbook-website-2.3-2mdk
> docbook-style-xsl-1.60.1-2mdk
> docbook-utils-0.6.12-2mdk
> docbook-dtd31-sgml-1.0-6mdk
> docbook-dtd42-xml-1.0-1mdk
> docbook-style-dsssl-doc-1.77-3mdk

When I grepped my docbook packages, I only had 5, but it looks like what
you have should be more than fine.

> My config in ~/.bash_profile:
> # Catalog path definition for Openjade
> export path_openjade=/usr/share/sgml/openjade-1.3.2
> export path_docbook_dsssl=/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets-1.77
> export path_dtd=/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.1.2
> export
> SGML_CATALOG_FILES=$path_openjade/catalog:$path_docbook_dsssl/catalog:$path_dtd/catalog

My paths are defined in /etc/sgml/sgml.conf rather than in my bash
profile.  All I have is pointers in  /etc/sgml that go back to the files
in /usr/share/sgml.  No matter, what you have above is fine.

> My command is:
> $ openjade -t xml -d $path_docbook_dsssl/html/ldp.dsl -V nochunks
> /usr/share/sgml/openjade-1.3.2/pubtext/xml.dcl
> DocBook-OpenJade-SGML-XML-HOWTO.xml > file_nochunks.html

For XML, my command is as follows, all on one line of course:
openjade -t xml -d
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/html/ldp.dsl#html
/usr/share/sgml/xml.dcl filetoprocess.xml

Of course, this means that I've put the ldp.dsl and the xml.dcl in the
directories above.  As long as there are no errors, I get a perfect
conversion every time.

It looks like it spit everything out to the screen on you.  Put the
files I mentioned into the appropriate directories (as I mentioned
above) and give my command a try.  I'd like to see if that works
better.  It should plunk all the html right into the current directory.

Now, my version of the command will give chunks, and I had a difficult
time making openjade do no chunks, so I switch to xsltproc for doing no
chunk, using the ldp-html.xsl.  If you have xsltproc installed, you can
type:
xsltproc -o outputfile.html --docbook /usr/share/sgml/ldp-html.xsl
inputfile.xml

The xsl file can be found in CVS at the LDP
(http://cvsview.tldp.org/index.cgi/LDP/builder/xsl/), and as long as you
put the file in the directory you specify in the command, you should get
an html file with the entire doc.

If you absolutely need openjade to do the no chunk, hopefully others
here have some thoughts of their own to share.

Please let us know if it works!

Tabatha

--
Tabatha Marshall
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com

From: David Horton ####@####.####
Date: 11 Nov 2003 01:31:05 -0000

Tabatha Marshall wrote:

[snip]

> The xsl file can be found in CVS at the LDP
> (http://cvsview.tldp.org/index.cgi/LDP/builder/xsl/), and as long as you
> put the file in the directory you specify in the command, you should get
> an html file with the entire doc.

There is an updated version of the TLDP XSL stylesheets that you can
find at: http://my.core.com/~dhorton/docbook/tldp-xsl/  Just look for
the one with the most recent date.  The updated version has some
enhancements to the HTML output and can also do PDF output now.  As an
added bonus there is even a short HOWTO included that gives examples of
how to use the stylesheets to produce various types of output with a few
of the popular tools.

I would welcome any comments on the updated stylesheets.

Dave

From: Guillaume Audirac ####@####.####
Date: 12 Nov 2003 21:38:33 -0000

Hello,
thanks to all for your help. I progress slowly. However, I have
nothing's perfect. Explanations:

1) I installed "docbook-xsl-1.62.4" and "tldp-xsl-02SEP2003". Then I
processed my file with xsltproc with the command line:
$ xsltproc -o DocBook-OpenJade-SGML-XML-HOWTO.html --docbook
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets/html/tldp-html.xsl
DocBook-OpenJade-SGML-XML-HOWTO.xml

Messages:
No localization exists for "fr" or "". Using default "en".
[...]

The result is good except that it is a translation into French. Some
words remain in English like "Author" or "Revision History".
---------------
2) I tried again with openjade by using both "dsssl-stylesheets-1.78"
and "lfs.dsl".
$ openjade -t xml -d $path_docbook_dsssl/html/lfs.dsl -V nochunks
/usr/share/sgml/openjade/pubtext/xml.dcl
DocBook-OpenJade-SGML-XML-HOWTO.xml >
DocBook-OpenJade-SGML-XML-HOWTO.html

Messages from Openjade are:
openjade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/html/../common/../common/dbl1no.dsl:2:66:W: cannot generate system identifier
for public text "ISO 8879:1986//ENTITIES Added Latin 1//EN"
openjade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/html/../common/../common/dbl1no.dsl:3:5:E: reference to entity "lat1" for which no system identifier could be generated
openjade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/html/../common/../common/dbl1no.dsl:2:0: entity was defined here
[...]

But the HTML output is OK, except paragraph numbers are missing and some
other things.
---------------
3) Then the same with "ldp.dsl". Before, my command was not quite right
(I forgot the #html):
$ openjade -t xml -d $path_docbook_dsssl/html/ldp.dsl#html -V nochunks
/usr/share/sgml/openjade/pubtext/xml.dcl
DocBook-OpenJade-SGML-XML-HOWTO.xml >
DocBook-OpenJade-SGML-XML-HOWTO.html

Messages from Openjade are:
openjade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/html/../print/../common/../common/dbl1no.dsl:2:66:W: cannot generate system identifier for public text "ISO 8879:1986//ENTITIES Added Latin 1//EN"
openjade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/html/../print/../common/../common/dbl1no.dsl:3:5:E: reference to entity "lat1" for which no system identifier could be generated
openjade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/html/../print/../common/../common/dbl1no.dsl:2:0: entity was defined here
openjade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/html/../print/../common/../common/dbl1ro.dsl:2:66:W: cannot generate system identifier for public text "ISO 8879:1986//ENTITIES Added Latin 1//EN"
[...]
openjade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/html/ldp.dsl:355:18:E: reference to undefined variable "$table-width$"
openjade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/html/ldp.dsl:320:28:E: reference to undefined variable "$verbatim-line-by-line$"

The 2 last lines differ from the case with "lfs.dsl", and due to this,
the output is not formatted.
An extract of output is:
Conversion de documents DocBook XML/SGML avec OpenJadeConversion de
documents DocBook XML/SGML avec OpenJadeConversion de documents DocBook
XML/SGML avec OpenJadeVersion française de DocBook XML/SGML Processing
Using OpenJadeSaqib Alisaqib CHEZ seagate POINT com

Guillaume Audirac - Traduction française

Encolpe Degoute - Relecture de la version française

2003-08-29Historique des versionsVersion 2.2.8.fr.1.02003-08-29Revu
par : ga, edTraduction de la version 2.2.8 de DocBook XML/SGML
Processing Using OpenJade.Versio
[...]

Do you have new ideas with this information ?
Thanks a lot.
Guillaume

From: Bob Stayton ####@####.####
Date: 12 Nov 2003 21:50:58 -0000

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 10:40:02PM +0100, Guillaume Audirac wrote:
> Hello,
> thanks to all for your help. I progress slowly. However, I have
> nothing's perfect. Explanations:
>
> 1) I installed "docbook-xsl-1.62.4" and "tldp-xsl-02SEP2003". Then I
> processed my file with xsltproc with the command line:
> $ xsltproc -o DocBook-OpenJade-SGML-XML-HOWTO.html --docbook
> /usr/share/sgml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets/html/tldp-html.xsl
> DocBook-OpenJade-SGML-XML-HOWTO.xml
>
> Messages:
> No localization exists for "fr" or "". Using default "en".
> [...]
>
> The result is good except that it is a translation into French. Some
> words remain in English like "Author" or "Revision History".

It just so happens that, due to a configuration error,
version 1.62.4 of the stylesheets had a zero-length
common/fr.xml file in the distribution.  You can download
the missing file from the bug report page at SourceForge:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=823478&group_id=21935&atid=373747

Scroll down near the bottom of the page where it says
"Attached Files".  Just overwrite the fr.xml file
in the 'common' subdirectory in your stylesheet
distribution.

                                            email: ####@####.####

From: Guillaume Audirac ####@####.####
Date: 13 Nov 2003 20:35:06 -0000

Hello,

Thanks for the information. I installed the missing file with much more
success... except one thing!
The writer's name of the HTML document is preceeded by "Author" (instead
of "Auteur" in French).
Unlucky, almost perfect! It is the only generated word which I noticed
to be not translated.
To be more accurate, the writer's name in after the following tags:
    <authorgroup>
    <author>

Thanks to report this, and to tell me how to correct it (which field in
the fr.xml file) if you know this.

Bye.
Guillaume