docbook: Thread: Jade errors from "ldp.dsl"

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Jade errors from "ldp.dsl"
From: Derek Tattersall ####@####.####
Date: 15 Nov 2003 23:27:39 -0000

Hi gang,
First time writing on this list.
I've recently installed the latest Openjade, etc., following the LDP Author
Guide to the letter. All the test files work no problem.  Now when I try to
use "ldp.dsl" on an sgml document, I get this error:

openjade:/usr/share/sgml/dsssl/html/ldp.dsl:355:18:E: reference to undefined
variable "$table-width$"
openjade:/usr/share/sgml/dsssl/html/ldp.dsl:320:28:E: reference to undefined
variable "$verbatim-line-by-line$"

I don't know how important these errors are, but all I know is, I can't seem
to get an html file as output using ldp.dsl.  rtf works.

any idea where this error is coming from?  Where SHOULD these variables be
defined?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

derek t
Subject: Re: Jade errors from "ldp.dsl"
From: Hal Burgiss ####@####.####
Date: 15 Nov 2003 23:43:10 -0000

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 06:25:02PM -0500, Derek Tattersall wrote:
> Hi gang,
> First time writing on this list.
> I've recently installed the latest Openjade, etc., following the LDP Author
> Guide to the letter. All the test files work no problem.  Now when I try to
> use "ldp.dsl" on an sgml document, I get this error:
>
> openjade:/usr/share/sgml/dsssl/html/ldp.dsl:355:18:E: reference to undefined
> variable "$table-width$"
> openjade:/usr/share/sgml/dsssl/html/ldp.dsl:320:28:E: reference to undefined
> variable "$verbatim-line-by-line$"
>
> I don't know how important these errors are, but all I know is, I can't seem
> to get an html file as output using ldp.dsl.  rtf works.
>
> any idea where this error is coming from?  Where SHOULD these variables be
> defined?

Did you edit any of the paths in ldp.dsl? You probably need to, for
example:

<!ENTITY docbook.dsl SYSTEM "/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/html/docbook.dsl" CDATA dsssl>

Needs to be a real file location.

--
Hal Burgiss

From: Derek Tattersall ####@####.####
Date: 16 Nov 2003 01:14:41 -0000

On Saturday November 15 2003 06:44 pm, Hal Burgiss wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 06:25:02PM -0500, Derek Tattersall wrote:
> > I've recently installed the latest Openjade, etc., following the LDP
> > Author Guide to the letter. All the test files work no problem.  Now when
> > I try to use "ldp.dsl" on an sgml document, I get this error:
> >
> > openjade:/usr/share/sgml/dsssl/html/ldp.dsl:355:18:E: reference to
> > undefined variable "$table-width$"
> > openjade:/usr/share/sgml/dsssl/html/ldp.dsl:320:28:E: reference to
> > undefined variable "$verbatim-line-by-line$"
> >
> > I don't know how important these errors are, but all I know is, I can't
> > seem to get an html file as output using ldp.dsl.  rtf works.
> >

> Did you edit any of the paths in ldp.dsl? You probably need to, for
> example:
>
> <!ENTITY docbook.dsl SYSTEM
> "/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/html/docbook.dsl" CDATA dsssl>
>
> Needs to be a real file location.

Am I supposed to change the PUBLIC to SYSTEM?  Because I didn't change
anything yet, and the print backend worked perfectly (I've got the same copy
of ldp.dsl in both "print/" and "html/")

<!DOCTYPE style-sheet PUBLIC
          "-//James Clark//DTD DSSSL Style Sheet//EN" [
<!ENTITY % html "IGNORE">
<![%html;[
<!ENTITY % print "IGNORE">
<!ENTITY docbook.dsl PUBLIC
         "-//Norman Walsh//DOCUMENT DocBook HTML Stylesheet//EN"
         CDATA dsssl>
]]>
<!ENTITY % print "INCLUDE">
<![%print;[
<!ENTITY docbook.dsl PUBLIC
         "-//Norman Walsh//DOCUMENT DocBook Print Stylesheet//EN"
         CDATA dsssl>
]]>
]>

derek t
From: Derek Tattersall ####@####.####
Date: 16 Nov 2003 16:33:26 -0000

> > On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 06:25:02PM -0500, Derek Tattersall wrote:
> > > I've recently installed the latest Openjade, etc., following the LDP
> > > Author Guide to the letter. All the test files work no problem.  Now
> > > when I try to use "ldp.dsl" on an sgml document, I get this error:
> > >
> > > openjade:/usr/share/sgml/dsssl/html/ldp.dsl:355:18:E: reference to
> > > undefined variable "$table-width$"
> > > openjade:/usr/share/sgml/dsssl/html/ldp.dsl:320:28:E: reference to
> > > undefined variable "$verbatim-line-by-line$"

Thanks, Hal for pointing me in the right direction -- after staring at this
problem for a while, I think I solved it.

the section below from "ldp.dsl" is for the PRINT spec, right?
So all I needed to do in the "HTML/ldp.dsl" was change the IGNORE directive
for the HTML entity to INCLUDE, right?

Was that all there was to it?

Sorry for my newbie-ness, but I've been trying off and on for a while to get
my thick head around this whole SGML thang.

thanks again,

derek t

From: Hal Burgiss ####@####.####
Date: 17 Nov 2003 12:25:44 -0000

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 11:30:48AM -0500, Derek Tattersall wrote:

> the section below from "ldp.dsl" is for the PRINT spec, right?
> So all I needed to do in the "HTML/ldp.dsl" was change the IGNORE directive
> for the HTML entity to INCLUDE, right?
>
> Was that all there was to it?

Sorry, you probably either need to do that, or invoke as:

jade -t sgml -ihtml -d ldp.dsl\#html

--
Hal Burgiss