docbook: Thread: special characters within formated text

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: special characters within formated text
From: Alasdair Hatfield ####@####.####
Date: 15 Oct 2003 07:19:12 -0000

Hi

I have some code of the form

 <example id="hooks.cpp">
        <title>hooks.cpp</title>
        <programlisting>
	sys_bus = new CBus<MEMTYPE, ADDRTYPE> ( "SYS_BUS", 32, 8);
        </programlisting>
        </example>

When I compile this using xsltproc, I get the following error:

mem.xml:180: error: error parsing attribute name
    sys_bus = new CBus<MEMTYPE, ADDRTYPE> ( "SYS_BUS", 32, 8);
                                                                      ^

The arrow is to the comma between MEMTYPE and ADDRTYPE.

It appears that this and other similar errors are caused by the parser
recognising these as special characters.

How can I, in the xml file, tell the compiler to ignore these so I can use
formated text without limitations?

Thanks in advance
Alasdair
Subject: Re: special characters within formated text
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 15 Oct 2003 09:35:14 -0000

The character entities you're looking for are at:
http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/iso-num.html

Usage: #entity;

Hope that helps out!

Tabatha

--
Tabatha Marshall
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com

From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 15 Oct 2003 09:39:29 -0000

Whoops, the usage should have read: &entity;

:D

From: "John R. Daily" ####@####.####
Date: 16 Oct 2003 01:31:55 -0000

I believe you're looking for CDATA:

<![CDATA[
]]>

CDATA allows you to use any special XML characters like < or >
with impunity, with the obvious exception of the string "]]>"
itself.

So:
        <programlisting><![CDATA[
        sys_bus = new CBus<MEMTYPE, ADDRTYPE> ( "SYS_BUS", 32, 8);
        ]]></programlisting>

should work.

--
John R. Daily