docbook: Thread: DocBook lines and CVS

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: DocBook lines and CVS
From: Kian Spongsveen ####@####.####
Date: 5 Sep 2003 14:29:11 -0000

I keep my DocBook XML files in CVS while developing them to make sure I don't
do any undoable major mistakes. My editor (jEdit) is set to soft-wrap the
lines at 80 columns when I edit. I use hard linefeeds and indentation to keep
track of my tag nesting.
Now, when I do a CVS diff I find that a paragraph (<para></para>) has changed,
but it is very hard to see where it changed since it is all one single long
line and the CVS diff is line-based.

Any suggestions on better ways of doing this? Should I use hard linefeeds
within sentences / paragraphs in the XML file (which could make editing a
nightmare), or are there any settings in CVS to improve this?

 - Kian Spongsveen
Subject: Re: DocBook lines and CVS
From: Harry Goldschmitt ####@####.####
Date: 6 Sep 2003 04:27:11 -0000

At 1:03 PM +0200 9/5/03, Kian Spongsveen wrote:
>I keep my DocBook XML files in CVS while developing them to make sure I don't
>do any undoable major mistakes. My editor (jEdit) is set to soft-wrap the
>lines at 80 columns when I edit. I use hard linefeeds and indentation to keep
>track of my tag nesting.
>Now, when I do a CVS diff I find that a paragraph (<para></para>) has changed,
>but it is very hard to see where it changed since it is all one single long
>line and the CVS diff is line-based.
>
>Any suggestions on better ways of doing this? Should I use hard linefeeds
>within sentences / paragraphs in the XML file (which could make editing a
>nightmare), or are there any settings in CVS to improve this?

I use hard line feeds, wrap at 72 and start each sentence on a new
line.  If you do the sentence bit, it makes things a lot easier.  If
you have to split a sentence into multiple lines, at least it's all
together.

Harry