docbook: MS Word to XML

Subject: Re: MS Word to XML
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 14 Nov 2003 03:00:52 -0000

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 18:29, Saqib Ali wrote:
> Hello Tabatha,
>
> OpenOffice(OO) 1.1 supports exporting to DocBook XML 4.2. You might wanna
> try opening the MS Word document in OO and try exporting to DocBook.

I went to xml.openoffice.org and looked into all that, but was very
lost.  I downloaded some things (*I think*) but couldn't figure out
their instructions to make it all work.  If you have any good
references, please let me know.

> Another option is Save the file OO format (XML file compressed in a ZIP),
> and try using an XSLT to go from OO XML to DocBook XML.

I saved the MS Word document in OpenOffice and unzipped the .sxw file,
since everything's done in XML, but it was still very ugly.  I couldn't
figure out how to just get the doctype statement reading "book" with the
proper link to open-oasis, other than to manually put it in.  The whole
thing overall left me a little muddled.

> Also try w2XML from http://www.docsoft.com/w2xmlv2.htm

Off to look at it right now.  Thanks!

> http://validate.sf.net <---- HTML/XHTML/DocBook Validator