discuss: Thread: automatic submission? Serial Programming was [Getting Started With Working With Git]

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: automatic submission? Serial Programming was [Getting Started With Working With Git]
From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 9 Feb 2016 16:22:04 +0000

Hi David (et alia),

>I will have some files to upload when submit is implemented.

Automatic processing of documents will be based off the git
repository.  Whatever is in the master git repository will be
checked out (every X minutes) and rebuilt if needed.

I'm not planning on implementing automatic submission.  There would
still be a human involved in that process.

>Two are by someone who refused about 15 years ago to submit them to
>LDP due to his dislike of LinuxDoc (It couldn't print italics where
>he wanted it).  And when it was suggested he use docbook, he became
>outraged after looking at docbook complications.

OK.

>I've put his files on my website and they get high traffic.  They
>are on programming the serial port which is widely used today for
>imbedded devices. I'm not taking over maintenance of these files
>and am not submitting them in my own name.  We will then have 2
>howtos of the same name except I'll ask to add "-old" to the old
>one which has some important info not in the newer how-to (but
>overall, the newer one is better).  The author told me in an email
>to go ahead and submit them to LDP if I wanted to.  Someone needs
>to merge them who understands serial programming.

I can easily (and would happily) handle the mechanical aspect of
renaming and committing the documents, if you would like.  Just let
me know where to get the source or send it to me.

As for the reconciliation between the documents, that sounds like a
document (or pair of documents) that are looking for a maintainer,
if not an author.  Are they both called exactly 'Serial Programming
HOWTO'?  That would be hilarious!

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown