discuss: Thread: volunteering for some TLDP work

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: volunteering for some TLDP work
From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 26 Jan 2016 19:37:20 +0000

Hello TLDP volunteers, authors and lurkers,

I'm an LDP contributor (1 guide, 2 howtos), very occasional reviewer
(between 2002 and 2005), and mailing list lurker (since about 2002).

I recently read Serge's comment that he was the only member of the
LDP volunteer team.  Well, that won't do!  Thus, I'm volunteering to
join the team and contribute.

Until about six months ago, and for more than a decade prior, Greg
Ferguson quietly provided all of our document processing and
publication services.  As one volunteer to another (though he's
gone), I'd like to thank him for all of his years of work for TLDP.

Over the years, this mailing list has frequently seen postings about
the value of TLDP documents.  (I remember well the value to me of
Matt Welsh's book _Running Linux_ which I bought as a Linux beginner
in about 1997 or so.)

We continue to hear people like J.S. Evans (thank you, by the way
for your engagement, concern and kind words) describing how valuable
our documentation is.

I volunteer to help steward this value of the LDP, and try to help
us build a toolchain to accomplish what Greg Ferguson accomplished
for so many years.

I'm ready to commit some small number of hours (say five) per week
for some as-yet unspecified duration.

So, TLDP folk, you may see some email from me in the coming days,

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown
http://linux-ip.net/
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 26 Jan 2016 19:43:19 +0000

Le 26/01/2016 20:38, Martin A. Brown a écrit :

> So, TLDP folk, you may see some email from me in the coming days,

thank you,Martin :-)

jdd

From: Paul Hendricksen ####@####.####
Date: 26 Jan 2016 23:46:41 +0000

Hello all,

Long time lurker and follower of this project since almost its inception. I
would like to stand by Martin and volenteer my time, as well. I can offer a
few hours a week. Please let me know what i can do or what jobs need to get
done.

-Paul

--
Thanks,

Paul Hendricksen
From: Serge Victor ####@####.####
Date: 27 Jan 2016 00:32:43 +0000

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 6:47 AM, Paul Hendricksen
####@####.#### wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Long time lurker and follower of this project since almost its inception. I
> would like to stand by Martin and volenteer my time, as well. I can offer a
> few hours a week. Please let me know what i can do or what jobs need to get
> done.

Hi Paul,
assuming that Martin will be able to re-create the docbook processing
chain, there are four major needs for the project:

A) update of the LDP Guide, focused on explanation of git submissions

B) adding other documentation formats to the processing chain (via pandoc)

C) update again of the LDP Guide with information of other accepted formats

D) reviewing and accepting pull requests coming to LDP via github.

Big thanks,
Serge
From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 27 Jan 2016 01:14:08 +0000

Hello there Paul,

>Long time lurker and follower of this project since almost its
>inception.

Wow!  That's a long time!

>I would like to stand by Martin and volenteer my time, as well. I
>can offer a few hours a week. Please let me know what i can do or
>what jobs need to get done.

I think there are a few different classes of work:

  1) technical, much of which Serge outlined in his reply

  2) review and outreach,

  3) revision of

From: Mark Komarinski ####@####.####
Date: 27 Jan 2016 01:23:32 +0000

I'd like to help with the LDP Guide work.  About time I got back into this.
-Mark

>Long time lurker and follower of this project since almost its
>inception.

Wow!  That's a long time!

From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 27 Jan 2016 01:26:16 +0000

Hello Paul,

>> Long time lurker and follower of this project since almost its
>> inception. I would like to stand by Martin and volenteer my time,
>> as well. I can offer a few hours a week. Please let me know what
>> i can do or what jobs need to get done.
>
>Hi Paul,
>assuming that Martin will be able to re-create the docbook processing
>chain, there are four major needs for the project:

I think I will be able to re-create a largely automated DocBook
processing system, given how mature the toolchain is under modern
systems.  See prior messages.

I'll add to Serge's reply:

>A) update of the LDP Guide, focused on explanation of git submissions

  Yes, please.  It says stuff about CVS at this point.
  http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/html/cvs.html

  Would be nice to have that point to our git repo.
  There have been questions from people who do not wish to have
  accounts on the github.com corporate service.  All fine, we can
  take patches in email or, presumably via another git repo of a
  committer.  You could refer anybod not wanting to have a
  github.com account to the ####@####.#### list, I'd think.

>B) adding other documentation formats to the processing chain (via pandoc)

  This has been requested many times.  I'm personally unfamiliar
  with pandoc, and would be interested in hearing the thoughts of
  others on supporting additional formats.

  If we can support DocBook XML 5.0, that seems like a good thing.

  AsciiDoc has come up several times.

>C) update again of the LDP Guide with information of other accepted formats
>
>D) reviewing and accepting pull requests coming to LDP via github.

I think this is where the LDP policy step comes in.  We have,
historically, had a policy of content review followed by technical
review.  If you would like to try a stab at that, I know that J.S.
Evans just submitted a Package-Management-Basics.xml file that could
probably use both content and technical review.

I am less familiar with this part of the LDP process, as it was
largely handled in prior years by (at different times) David
Merrill, Tabatha (Persad) Marshall, Emma Jane Hogbin, Machtelt
(Tille) Garrels and probably others whom I'm forgetting.

Maybe this is of use (dated 2004):

  http://ibiblio.org/gferg/ldp/css/LDP-Reviewer-HOWTO/index.html

Best,

-Martin

P.S. Sorry for the crappily-crafted first reply.  My fingers got
  ahead of my brain.

--
Martin A. Brown
http://linux-ip.net/
From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 27 Jan 2016 01:42:58 +0000

Hello there Mark,

>I'd like to help with the LDP Guide work.  About time I got back into this.

I remember seeing your name a bunch, several years ago.

I notice that you are one of the authors of the current LDP guide.

I think it would be wonderful to once again be a vibrant
organization that would draw people to publish their documentation
with us.  What would you like to do with the LDP Guide?

I have not re-read the LDP Author Guide [0] in some time, but I
would think we (as a group) could stand to make sure that it is
still accurate and then synchronize that with the LDP FAQ [1].

Of course the bit about our VCS needs updating, as Serge mentioned.

Nice to see you on the list again!

-Martin

 [0] http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/html/index.html
 [1] http://www.tldp.org/FAQ/LDP-FAQ/

--
Martin A. Brown
http://linux-ip.net/
From: Mark Komarinski ####@####.####
Date: 27 Jan 2016 02:28:26 +0000

On 1/26/2016 8:43 PM, Martin A. Brown wrote:
> Hello there Mark,
>
>> I'd like to help with the LDP Guide work.  About time I got back into this.
> I remember seeing your name a bunch, several years ago.
>
> I notice that you are one of the authors of the current LDP guide.
>
> I think it would be wonderful to once again be a vibrant
> organization that would draw people to publish their documentation
> with us.  What would you like to do with the LDP Guide?
Whatever you need done.  I'm quite rusty on both Docbook and the current
submission processes, so I'd need to get back up to speed on that, then
get information on what the new processes are and update.  I honestly
haven't touched either in probably 10 years (shows how long I've been
lurking).

-Mark