discuss: Thread: RTC Quickstart Guide into TLDP?

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: RTC Quickstart Guide into TLDP?
From: Daniel Pocock ####@####.####
Date: 23 Sep 2015 12:43:25 +0100

Hi,

I'm just wondering if the Real-Time Communications Quickstart Guide
would be welcome in the Linux Documentation Project?

http://rtcquickstart.org

The aim of the guide is to help people install RTC (SIP, XMPP, TURN) on
Linux distributions like Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora.

Regards,

Daniel
Subject: Re: RTC Quickstart Guide into TLDP?
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 24 Sep 2015 08:40:59 +0100

Quoting Daniel Pocock ####@####.####

> I'm just wondering if the Real-Time Communications Quickstart Guide
> would be welcome in the Linux Documentation Project?
>
> http://rtcquickstart.org
>
> The aim of the guide is to help people install RTC (SIP, XMPP, TURN) on
> Linux distributions like Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora.

Have you given a thought to licensing of your document?  As presently
posted, you state your copyright title aka ownership (which is of course
always appropriate), but by omission reserve to yourself all rights to
redistribute, create derivative works, or maintain the work if/when you
cease to do so.  Which is of course absolutely your right, as it is for
any author.

Last I heard, LDP as part of the LDP Manifesto
(http://wiki.tldp.org/LDP%20Manifesto) was willing to accept Linux
documentation that is under a variety of free documentation licences, as
detailed here:  http://wiki.tldp.org/LdpWikiDefaultLicence

In no way am I being critical of the current state of your Guide in
mentioning the above.  It's very common for people to write
documentation without providing for other persons having the licensing
right to assume maintenance of a work and prevent it from being
permanently unmaintained and unmaintainable (the main reason for LDP's
licence policy, I believe), and it's equally common - and understandable
- for authors to have qualms about granting such rights over their
creations.

I certainly like your work on the Real-Time Communications Quick Start
Guide, though I've just now started reading it.

--
Rick Moen                  "The numbers one through ten should be spelled out,
####@####.####        while numbers greater than ten are products of the
From: Daniel Pocock ####@####.####
Date: 24 Sep 2015 09:12:09 +0100

On 24/09/15 09:41, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Daniel Pocock ####@####.####
>
>> I'm just wondering if the Real-Time Communications Quickstart Guide
>> would be welcome in the Linux Documentation Project?
>>
>> http://rtcquickstart.org
>>
>> The aim of the guide is to help people install RTC (SIP, XMPP, TURN) on
>> Linux distributions like Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora.
>
> Have you given a thought to licensing of your document?  As presently
> posted, you state your copyright title aka ownership (which is of course
> always appropriate), but by omission reserve to yourself all rights to
> redistribute, create derivative works, or maintain the work if/when you
> cease to do so.  Which is of course absolutely your right, as it is for
> any author.
>
> Last I heard, LDP as part of the LDP Manifesto
> (http://wiki.tldp.org/LDP%20Manifesto) was willing to accept Linux
> documentation that is under a variety of free documentation licences, as
> detailed here:  http://wiki.tldp.org/LdpWikiDefaultLicence
>
> In no way am I being critical of the current state of your Guide in
> mentioning the above.  It's very common for people to write
> documentation without providing for other persons having the licensing
> right to assume maintenance of a work and prevent it from being
> permanently unmaintained and unmaintainable (the main reason for LDP's
> licence policy, I believe), and it's equally common - and understandable
> - for authors to have qualms about granting such rights over their
> creations.
>
> I certainly like your work on the Real-Time Communications Quick Start
> Guide, though I've just now started reading it.

Thanks for the feedback

The license was not an oversight, I am still contemplating the best way
to deal with this.  It is an important decision and I didn't want to
just pick something at random.

I'm definitely contemplating how to ensure the guide is kept up to date
and encourages other contributors.  That is one reason I put it on Github.

Metcalfe's law[1] tells us that the value of a communications network or
protocol (in this case, open protocols like SIP and XMPP) grows in
proportion to the square of the number of users.  One practical
interpretation of this: if the guide is freely available online and if
that means 10 times more people read it and deploy these protocols, the
Metcalfe value of the network increases by a value of 100.

Based on that logic, whatever license I choose, it will permit free use
of the guide.

I'm not overly possessive of the document, I don't mind having other
authors contributing and sharing copyright and being credited for their
work as long as the quality of the document remains high so I need to
choose a license and maintenance strategy that facilitates this.

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metcalfe's_law
From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 4 Mar 2016 19:36:49 +0000

Greetings Daniel,

>I'm just wondering if the Real-Time Communications Quickstart Guide
>would be welcome in the Linux Documentation Project?
>
>http://rtcquickstart.org
>
>The aim of the guide is to help people install RTC (SIP, XMPP,
>TURN) on Linux distributions like Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora.

I saw the discussion you had several months back with Rick Moen
about the licensing for your RTCQuickstartGuide.  I am curious if
you came to any resolution about this.

I have read through your document and find it very good.  I think we
would be willing to welcome it into our collection.  I have the
usual questions:

  * Has it seen a technical review from somebody other than
    yourself?

  * What is your intended license?  In terms of licensing, we can
    accept (without quibble) any of the following set (see Accepted
    Licenses):
      http://wiki.tldp.org/LdpWikiDefaultLicence

  * I would volunteer to perform a language review if all else has
    been met.

I performed a markup review just a few minutes ago and I have some
patches which correct several minor validation issues in your
document.  I can send these your way, if you like (via pull request
mechanism).  Let me know if you are interested in them.

Thank you for contacting TLDP,

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown