discuss: Thread: Royalties

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Royalties
From: Henry Kingman ####@####.####
Date: 30 Nov 2000 03:52:24 -0000

Greetings,

ZDNet has set up an LDP mirror with ad banners that can be
found here:

http://lhd.zdnet.com/LDP

We have also started featuring the most recently updated
HOWTOs within the Linux Resource Center (linux.zdnet.com).
(Thanks to Greg Ferguson for maintaining the data file that
makes this easy to do).

Before we start to promote this mirror too much within ZDNet,
I'd like to get some kind of a royalty system set up. Ideally,
I see it working as follows. Once a quarter, we parse our
server logs against a table of URLs/maintainer-emails/doc names
(does such a thing exist?) This enables us to send out mail
messages that say something like the following:

Dear LDP maintainer,
Documents you maintain netted $XX.XX in royalties for the
current quarter at ZDNet's LDP mirror. Please respond with
your mailing address if you wish us to send you a check. If
we do not hear from you in 30 days, a donation will be made
in your name to the Linux Documentation Project.
			--ZDNet Linux team

As I said, this is how I see it working in an ideal world.
I'm pretty sure I can get approval to pay royalties (though
they will probably be mere pennies per click) but I'm not
sure I have the development resources to handle this myself.
Since money is involved, it has to be a pretty rigorously
executed project.

The easier path would be to put a separate ad rotator on
this mirror and just pay royalties to the LDP; however, as
a writer myself I'd prefer to reward the writers directly if
possible.

Has anyone done anything similar? Is anyone interested in
helping?

Thanks for any ideas or responses.

-Henry

Henry Kingman
ZDNet GNU/Linux Producer
650 Townsend Street,
Fourth Floor,
San Francisco, CA 94118
(415) 551-4845

--
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. Ben Franklin