discuss: Some ideas for TLDP

Subject: Re: Some ideas for TLDP
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 11 Jan 2016 00:53:35 +0000

Quoting Serge Victor ####@####.####

> LDP is not able to provide email to github gateway at the moment,
> until someone volunteers of course.

I was hoping you would say someting like 'Sure, send new SGML to me and
I'll check it in.'  I certainly would use that only very rarely.

> It might be that github will be replaced by googs in future, but as I
> stated before, I have no objections to use github's auth system, until
> they use GPL git.

Naturally, I have no problem with your using GitHub, either.  Enjoy!  It
would merely be nice to continue being able to send TLDP updates.  If
you can suggest how best to do that other than 'sign up with GitHub', I
would be grateful to hear it.  Otherwise, I would guess my documentation
will henceforth not be updated except on my own Internet server.

Probably, when I complete my impending site rebuild, I'll create (once
again) a full TLDP mirror and update my documention there.  To which I
expect I would then offer public git access.

Because, you know, that's the sort of thing git is for.  No outsourcing
required.

> If linux itself is maintained on github...

As it turns out, that is not the case.

The Linux kernel is, of course, maintained by the various subsystem
maintainers in git (as that's what the toolset was invented for) -- but
it is not maintained on GitHub.  The primary maintainers learned their
lesson about outsourcing to captive-proprietary development and hosting
tools during the BitKeeper / Larry McVoy debacle.

> Yes, I am located on the Random island Area51 north from Reunion.

Droll.  ;->