discuss: Idea for new complete Linux documentation

Subject: RE: Idea for new complete Linux documentation
From: "frank ernest" ####@####.####
Date: 12 Mar 2014 16:36:33 +0000

I'm uncertain why I've gotten no response to my thread.
I submitted a brief bio for determining if I have the necessary expertise.
I submitted a proposal too.
I can only guess why and try to resolve whatever problems I can think up.
Perhaps you think my mind is made up?
No, it's not. I would not be asking for your advise and acceptance into the LDP if I already had made up my mind. I actually lose little as the partially completed guides have yet to reach 100 pages, so I lose little time. What learning I've gotten has been to my benefit as well as to others.
Perhaps you feel that you do not want to burst my bubble?
I don't mind, I'm not out to do the impossible, nor am I in it for me.
Consider the pitiable users... even the educated ones suffer from the lack of information regardless of the OS.
Picture, if you will, your a windowz user, your in a 12 by 24 inch container. You grow tired of the cramped, buggy, cold container your in.
You find a thin tunnel out, and behold your in a 12 by 24 light year universe, the birds are singing, the grass sucking up the water, the sun is processing it's contents.
You are gripped by terror, so much to do, so many places to go, so many things to see... What should you do first? Where should you go first?! What should you see first!?! Your not understanding any of this HELLP!!!
Then from behind, a person, whose name is bill, creeps up, there is a whirring motor-type noise, a whoosh, and you back again where you started, panicked of going out ever again.
I realize the previous analogy must be difficult to grasp as you've probably been in the Linux movement for some time. Therefore, consider some actual statements by the users of windowz I know (one per person):

Education       Remark

Highschool      I'm compressing these mp4s [on my Pentium 4] with
                7zip so they will be smaller.
Highschool      It has too much information on the hard disk [5GiB],
                that's why it's taking so long. Delete some files and
                then it will run faster.
Highschool      (X error happened on two laptops when connecting to the
                wireless network.) It must be your laptop, it's old.
College         Don't shutdown the computer!! You will break it!!!
College         (Why is it so slow? I asked.) "It's old."
                she replied. [Actually, she was running way
                to many tasks concurrently.]
College         You can't turn text into a number.

I'm not in it for me, I could just call it quits and throw together several rather poor and out dated manuals and put them in an rpm and ship it, but, as you can see, the users are in need.
As a final note, I ask you, why aren't people lining up to download Linux?
Not enough games you say? Was Linux founded on games? Did the kernel improve because uneducated users started playing games? Are users who are in the Linux community just for games really going to help/learn much?
I can't say for certain, why there are not people lining up to download Linux. However, the more I learn about Linux, the more I like it (who could hate something that's free, both monetary and modifiability (not to mention the excellent design, the backward compatibility, support for almost any, and every: protocol, language (both spoken and programed,) etc, etc, etc,) so, it follows that there must be an information gap.
The only real objection I've seen out there, is the "I don't want to learn it, objection." Though knowledge of truth is an amiable thing, people will not respond well if it is pushed on them. Unfortunately, Linux guides/howtos do little to solve this problem. To often, so much complex information is taught so quickly that it causes even yours truly to become sea sick while sitting on dry land.
The other half of this objection is that grandma-so-and-so is not going to be very likely to switch to Linux because she can't read that fast, so, less is more (pun intended.)
You don't have to know all about frame relay, arp-poisoning, URIs, or even IP addresses to set up a wireless connection and start surfing the web. I advocate giving it to them a little at a time, instead of all at once (not to mention the fact that people will not remember a book's chapter on networking by the time they are through with the part on shell script if you explain everything.)
If you will not respond to me would you PLEASE AT LEAST GIVE ME A THUMBS UP OR DOWN OR SOMETHING!

Thanks, David

You're welcome.\n Sincerely, Mail Daemon\n